Resting and recovery

AFTER burning out during a 10k race on Wednesday, I decided to focus on rest and recovery. I took not one, not two but three days off from training.

Three days! This has never happened. I thought I would be desperate to get my trainers on and go for a run, but I wasn’t. I was so tired that I struggled just to go about my days. Every part of my body ached. I had no energy. I didn’t feel right at all. Running was the last thing on my mind.

On Friday I had a sports massage, which always helps my tight muscles, but can also be quite draining. I thought that by Saturday I would be back running. Saturday arrived and I felt worse than ever. I was going to force myself out for a three-mile jog, but then decided against it. We were meeting friends for an Indian so I’d need my strength for that.

We had a great evening at the Thaal Indian Restaurant, Darfield. I’ve not been there before but the food was nice, the drinks were flowing and it was a fantastic atmosphere. We ate a lot, and at 11.55pm, were the last customers to leave.

Having a night out and a good laugh seemed to restore my energy. By Sunday morning I couldn’t wait to get out for a run. Chris decided to join me. We set off without any idea of how far we would run. I just wanted to see how I felt. As it turned out, I felt really strong, the best I’d felt all week. We took an off-road route to Old Royston, then headed to Newmillerdam on the trail, taking the road to Walton then into Haw Park Wood, a lap of Angler’s Country Park, before running home on the canal path. We ran 13.1 miles in one hour fifty-five, a nice steady 8.45 minute mile pace.

It was absolutely wonderful. It was so nice to be back running. It was also beautiful weather, stunning scenery and I had Chris for company. I thought my energy levels were back to normal. I felt in a really productive mood, the kind of mood when I know I’ll get lots done. I’d got exams to revise for, and features, blogs and books to write. I got in the shower thinking about everything I would do. My energy had returned! I had lunch, then decided to have a sit down, just for two minutes before starting work.

I woke up two hours later. ‘What happened?’ I asked.

Chris was asleep on the sofa next to me. He opened his eyes and shrugged. ‘We obviously needed a rest.’

‘A rest!’ I jumped up. ‘This is disgraceful. I’ve got things I need to do.’ Unfortunately we’d lost most of the afternoon. It was almost 4pm, time to walk the dogs and get the horses in. We did a few more miles with the dogs. The sun was still shining, and it was so peaceful. There was no one else about, just us and Ted and Archie.


The walk helped to wake me up again. The brew and biscuits we had at my Mum and Dad’s afterwards also helped to restore my energy levels. Despite losing a few hours during the afternoon power nap, it has been a good day.

I feel so much better for resting, recovering and getting back into a bit of running. I’ve still got a million and one things to do, but hopefully now I’ll have the energy to do them.

Hope you’ve had a good weekend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *